Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Irish Manchild

Last night I went out for a pint and a bit of trad, or traditional Irish music. Music is plentiful here and you can find a small gathering of players in nearly any pub. It's kind of hard to see from the picture above but you maybe able to make out some of the musicians in the back right corner. The music went on for hours, as did the drinking.


I spent the greater part of the evening talking to a local (drunk) man about Ireland and his adventures hitch hiking around the States in the early 80s. His name was Fiat (traditional Irish name) and to say he was weathered would be paying him a compliment. But he was an interesting guy and he did draw me a map of Ireland and made some good recommendations of where we should go during our remaining time here.

After I was able to ditch Fiat I met up with two nice Aussies, Lauren and Rosie, who are over here driving around as Kathleen and I are doing. I think they are doing nearly the same route we're doing for the rest of the week so we may run into them.

The Aussies and I also met up with this nice Irish manchild, Angus. I don't think the picture actually does him any justice but I assure you this young man looked no older than 13. He is actually 26 and we made him show proof of ID becuase it was just so unbelieveable. But I can confirm that this manchild is actually of legal drinking age.

Andy, he wasn't quite a carny, but we're getting closer.

Today we're headed out of Galway and down the west coast. We're going to try to hit the Cliffs of Moher but it's raining and foggy (and cold!) so not sure how great the views are going to be. We plan to B&B it for the rest of the week so our Internet access may not be too reliable. We'll try to keep the posts coming!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG! You look so cute! I loved your friend when he was on Doogie Houser. Get an autograph for me.. I'm sure there is a crayon around his cubby somewhere!

Your green hat is so cute, too! I miss winter clothes.. The traditional garb of the Myrtle Beach locals doesn't exactly include much wool.. or much of anything for that matter. Talk about a boost of confidence... hitting the beach in a string bikini is something I used to threaten my enemies with. Here, it's completely "normal". EEKS.

Ahhhh.. I long to see green rolling hills like you guys are seeing! Kiss a sheep for me!